downtown Tokyo. Tokyo 2020. sumida-ku .History and the Sky tree of world sky
Tobacco & Salt Museum Details
Address: 1-16-3 Yokokawa, Sumida, Tokyo
Business Hours: Closed Mondays, open all other days 10:00 – 18:00 (Check here for great Tokyo area attractions open on Mondays)
Cost: Adults 100 JPY, kids and seniors 50 JPY
Access: 12 min walk for the Sky tree at Oshiage Station (Exit B2) on the Hanzomon Line, Keisei Line, Toei Asakusa Line and TOBU SKYTREE Line.
Notes: Very stroller and wheelchair friendly elevators and bathrooms
The Sumo Museum was opened in September 1954 to coincide with the completion of professional sumo’s new home, the Kuramae Kokugikan. Based on the materials gathered over the years by its first curator, Sakai Tadamasa, it was created to protect and preserve the rich historical heritage of Japan’s national sport. In January 1985 the museum moved to its present location when tournament sumo returned to Ryogoku with the opening of the Ryogoku Kokugikan.
The major function of the museum is to gather and preserve a wide range of materials related to the history of sumo, from woodblock prints and banzuke (official listings of rank) to the ceremonial aprons worn by the great rikishi of the past. These items are then displayed in themed exhibitions held six times a year. The museum also functions as a research center, continuously studying and reviewing sumo history as an integral part of Japanese culture.
Museum Curator – Goro Ishiyama (as of February 2013)
|Location||first floor of The Ryogoku Kokugikan|
Sumida-ku, Tokyo 130-0015
|Open||10:00 AM ～ 4:30 PM|
|Closed||Saturdays, Sundays, National Holidays
The museum also closes on a regular basis in order to change exhibits.
(Note: During the three Grand Sumo Tournaments held in Tokyo annually the museum is open every day but only to people actually attending the tournament.)